This free Android application connects to a WiThrottle Server. Supported servers include JMRI, DCC-EX, MRC Prodigy WiFi, Digitrax LnWi, and WifiTrax (for NCE). Once connected, you can control your locomotives and your entire model railroad. Speed, direction, and up to 29 DCC functions are supported for one to six locomotives or consists. You can create and edit consists (software-defined). You can also control layout power, turnouts, routes, and access JMRI web panels and windows.
Engine Driver version 2.30.133 includes:
- New Horizontal switching/shunting throttle layout.
- Toolbar can be used for left and right swipes.
- Option for Left and right swipes to only be allowed on the toolbar.
- Toolbar added to all screens. (Buttons and menu items available will vary.)
- EStop button (at least) added to all screens.
- Option to disable the audible alert when the app is sent to background.
- Children's Timer fixes and enhancements. Options for a toolbar button and to disable reverse.
- ActionBar replaced with Toolbar. Activity labels repositioned over the app icon.
- All button style menu actions will always fit on the toolbar.
- All connections logged to connections_log.txt.
- hide "Server Roster" loco selection option if server doesn't support rosters.
- Fixes to the 'Special' Consist follow functions to allow it to work for forced Default Function labels and a single loco.
- Fix for Shunting/Switching layout not updating correctly; when direction changed on another device; when changing throttle layouts and the direction was reverse.
- avoid crashes reported to Play Store
Under Preferences, you can turn off the "stop on release" feature if desired, and you can set a Maximum value and Maximum change% for the throttle sliders. If the throttle slider is too small for your fingers, increase the size in Preferences. You can also set the initial web page for the full-size web panel, and enable the smaller web view on the throttle screen. There are also settings to help maximize the use of your device's smaller screen by hiding items not relevant to you.
On your device, make sure you are connected to the WiThrottle server network.
Start the Engine Driver app and wait for your server's address to show up in "Discovered Servers".
Click on the discovered address, or you can enter the address and port of your WiThrottle server directly. (Using the values shown on the WiThrottle window.)
NOTE: see [here] for wifi connection issues.
On the throttle screen, click on the "Select" loco button for each loco.
Prerequisites (for JMRI):
Verify your Android device can connect to your network via WiFi and obtain an IP address.
Make sure you are running one of the latest versions of JMRI (3.8 works, 4.20+ works much better) on your PC, connected to your layout. Start up JMRI and verify you can use JMRI's included "Throttle" window to control a loco on your layout.
Start the WiThrottle function of JMRI, located in DecoderPro under Tools, Throttles. It is also highly recommended that you start the JMRI Web Server function (Tools, Start JMRI Web Server). Both of these should be added to Preferences, Start Up as well.
Prerequisites (for MRC Wifi):
Prerequisites (for Digitrax LnWi):
Connect the Digitrax LnWi, and verify your device can connect to its network and obtain an IP address.
EngineDriver connects to a WiThrottle Server which then connects to your layout. There are now a variety of supported WiThrottle Servers: